SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 24 19:12:51 PDT 1997

Ras wrote:

>> It is not my intention to belittle or dismiss SCA feast cooks who choose to
>> do non-period but rather I am more than a little curious about their reasons
>> for doing so. I would never wear modern military attire to an SCA fighting
>> field and I would never , personally, consider doing a non-period style
>> feast. The bottom line is that I find it inconsistent with the Dream. :-)

On the other hand, most of us take it for granted that indoor events will
usually be lighted electrically and use modern plumbing. Which things you
are willing to do in an OOP fashion and ignore depends a good deal on your
interests and knowledge.

I don't see a non-period feast as bad, in the context where the cooks don't
know how to do a good period feast and are doing their best to make the
feast feel period--even if they don't know much about what period food is
like (i.e. serving a big pot of beef stew with potatoes and greenbeans in
it). Merely less good than a period feast.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/