SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #391

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Fri Oct 24 22:30:44 PDT 1997

> I would especially like to make my own cheese!  But HOW IN AMERICA
> (I'm
> certian it's possible in other partes of Earth) do I find
> NON-Homogenized
> milk?  The dairy farmers won't sell it to people because of the law
> that -
> well - says they can't!  I don't know anyone with a "pet" cow or goats
> or
> whatever.  How do I find it?  I know it has to be pasteurized - that
> just
> involves cooking the milk to kill bacteria.  But homogenization
> involves
> adding fermaldehyde to the milk to prevent the cream from separating.
> My
> parents in Idaho know a rancher who sells milk "for animals" that
> hasn't
> been homogenized, but that doesn't help me much here in Oregon.
> Suggestions?  ANYONE?  I've always thought it would be fascinating to
> make
> my own cheese - and we are homeschooling too, so I think it would be
> an
> excellent "science" experiment for the kids to learn "where cheese
> comes
> from".  Thanks in advance!
>
> -Laurene

whereabouts in oregon? My lord has a friend in oregon, south west corner
named Diane Sawall who raises goats for cheesemaking. If i can find a
map in this mess I call home, I could even discern the town she lives
in. OR you can call the local 4h and ask about kids with prohects, OR
you could go to the nearest large animal vet and ask around discretely.
I am lucky to have a dairy farm within an hours drive that sells raw
milk- apparently CT doesnt have that silly law.
BTW, they have a chemical you can add to milk to turn homog milk into
cheesable.

new england cheesemaking supply co inc
85 main st po box 85
ashfield mass 01330