SC - white drinks and other foods

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 25 10:51:11 PDT 1997

> I also wouldn't mind if people made suggestions to foods that might
> fit in
> (hint, hint).  Two things that I am looking for in particular are:
> soup (I
> was thinking of a seafood chowder... but the onion pottage that has
> been
> recently discussed looks interesting) and a spread of some sort (i was
>
> thinking of serving the bread swan subtlety that was talked about a
> month
> ago, but I don't know what to fill the "back" with...butter seems just
> bit too far from white)

Hi.  A chance to hurl a couple of pence about is not to be missed.  I
offer a white food from Apicius that is fried creamed whaet cakes.  Thet
are listed as sweet, but I had success serving them as savory.  The
concept is making thick cream of wheat with savory seasoning like hard
grated cheese and black pepper.  Then pour it onto a board much like you
would polenta (I used a big baking sheet).  When cooled and much like
rubber, you cut into small lozenges or triangles, egg wash, bread
crumbs, fry till golden.  This is a redaction of the recipe for
convenience, and appears really close to the intent.  I can give exact
recipe details from a feast at which I served them.  "A cross between
tater wedges from Arby's and grits" was the comment from a Duke of some
eating renown in these parts.  Goes REAL well with roasted meats or as a
dessert when served sweet.

Second, a favorite warm dip for bread in GA part of Meridies is called
Spinach Flurry.  The period reference is Late Middle Eastern if I recall
correctly.  I am frantically trying to get the recipe even as I type.
It is of cream cheese, cream, butter, grated hard cheese, spinach and
chipped dried meat.  It is heavenly, heart destructive, and serves well
in bread bowls.  I will send the recipe and docs (if he still has them)
when I get it.

niccolo