SC - Tansy:To poison or not to poison

John and Barbara Enloe jbenloe at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 26 13:44:18 PST 1997

Re: the below:
Per The Herb Society of America Encyclopedia of Herbs & Their Uses  by Deni
Bown
Pages 359-360; There are various types of tansy out there and they are
referred to as "extremely pungent, potent herbs and should be used with
caution.  Benefits are listed in the book; some of the cautions refer to it
as NOT being given to pregnant women,... dermatitis and mouth ulcers in
some cases,... possibly unsafe for internal use, especially in pregnancy,
...the oil is highly toxic for both internal and external use, and very
small amounts may prove fatal,...excess (among other things) can cause
venous congestion of abdominal organs, and convulsions.  It is rarely used
internally."
	In light of this information, it may be very much worth your while to
discuss any use of this herb with an experienced herbalist.  They may be
able to give you types and amounts that are not harmful...without that, I
would hesitate to use this herb.  Just as a note, I keep my supply
grown/dried/stored away from all the rest of the herbs I grow to limit
access to it.
	Hope this is helpful.

Ania