SC - Knives-gender

Gedney, Jeff (Xton) Gedney at executone.com
Mon Oct 27 06:21:11 PST 1997

>Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 17:56:30 -0400 (EDT)
>From: LrdRas at aol.com
>Subject: SC - Knives-gender

><< Are all the kitchen utensils masculine? >>
>
>I have looked and looked but the sexual characteristics of the Knive
family
>are elusive and not readily apparent to the naked  <gasp> eye. I call
my
>favorite knife "Betty" and he/she/it has never complained yet. I
suppose a
>Spanish student or anyone who is familiar with a Romance language would
be
>more qualified to answer this question.
>
>What is the verdict? Are knives "el" or "la"?
>
>Ras
IMHO...
Because the way a knife operates is by "Penetration", I would at first
tend to vote in favor of male, but...
since a good knife uncomplainingly will slice through the most
unimaginable disgusting bloody messes I think that they generally are
female.
I think it no small coincidence that knife and wife rhyme.  They can
both be unbelievably graceful and helpful if properly respected and can
both viciously turn on you and cut you to the quick if you neglect
them!!   ;-)

Brandu