SC - Re: Bay leaves

Mon Oct 27 07:29:37 PST 1997

  Here's a unique solution to the bay leaf hunt problem: I was making up a
  soup which required bay leaves, but I have had problems in the past with
  getting them out again (hunting for the leaves is not what I call fun at a
  feast, and may have problems later with those unfound). Here's the
  solution : Tea bags.

You have rediscovered the "bouquet garni"

bouquet garni - noun
    plural bouquets garnis

    A bunch of herbs tied together, wrapped in cheesecloth or enclosed
    in a small cloth sack, and immersed during cooking, as in a soup or
    stew.

    [French : bouquet, bunch + garni, past participle of garnir, to
    garnish.]

	Tibor