SC - Deletable PC stuff, only partly to do with food.

Mon Oct 27 12:02:12 PST 1997

  potatos aren't period.
  margali

I know this was said in gest.... but someone on the Meridiean list made me
aware of an exception.....   Let me find it.

Mistress Falada had written"
    Just an FYI - Dame Fiona has a period (yes, period) recipe for potatoes.
    And before anyone jumps me: I know that the white potatoes we have
    today are not the black, oily period variety.  However, I have yet
    to see the period type any place that I could purchase them.  Therefore,
    substitutions should be acceptable.

    Anyway, Dame Fiona's documentation was good enough to be accepted at her
    Grand Chef qualification feast.  If anyone is interested, I am sure she
    would be glad to share the information.

And later, Dame Fiona herself said:
    Second, as far as the potatoes are concerned, the recipe was
    published in a German cookbook in 1598.  To describe the dish I
    would simply have to say "hashbrowns".  Is this the same recipe you
    are referring to Tibor? Variations of the recipe are available in
    many modern cookbooks, but I got it from an English translation of
    the original recipe.  It is called "Rosti".

	Tibor