SC - sources (WAS: Re: V1 #352)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 28 00:05:41 PST 1997

At 2:51 PM -0500 10/27/97, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:
>  About copying part but not all?  I think (oh boy, here we go again) my
>  understanding of the "fair use" clause in the copyright statute is that
>  you can make ONE copy for YOUR OWN PERSONAL RESEARCH OR EDUCATIONAL USE
>  of anything, in part or in whole, and be covered by the "fair use"
>  language.

I do not believe that is the case.

The fair use clause lists four or five different criteria for determining
whether something counts as fair use, and provides no formula for how to
add them up. Being an educational use is a plus. Being a copy of all of a
substantial document is a minus. The fact that copying does not cost the
copyright owner sales (for example, if the work is out of print) would be a
plus. And so on. But there isn't a simple rule of the sort described,
unfortunately.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/