SC - request for Clotted Cream

Louise Sugar dragonfyr at tycho.com
Tue Oct 28 12:07:20 PST 1997

OK Laurene...this comes from a book called Special Teas by M. Dalton King
ISBN 1-56138-166-7 published by Kenan Books Inc  15 West 26th St  New York,
NY 10010.  List price $19.95US. This book is a wonderful source for
information on teas and themes/recipies for cookies, preserves, jams, fruit
butters, cakes and many other things.  The chapter headings are Tea-The
Drink, House SpecialTeas, A British Crean Tea, An American Cream Tea, A
Southern Tea, High Tea, Thanksgiving Tea, Christmas Tea, Easter Tea, Russian
Tea, Chinese Tea, Children's Tea, Chocolate Lover's Tea, Feel Better Tea,
Late-Night Tea and Bare Bones Tea.  Each is a theme including tea and food
and a short 4 or 5 paragraph description of what the tea is about.  It also
includes sources for obtaining the various teas used as well as sources for
accessories/furnishings, etc used in each photo layout (I love this because
how many of us have seen something in a photo shoot that we fell in love
with and had no idea where to find)

CLOTTED CREAM  (makes 1 /13 cups  serves 4 to 6)
The cream served in England is not available here, although there are a
number of substitutes and facimiles available.  We use the following:

1 cup heavy cream, at room temeperature
1/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar

One hour before serving, pour the heavy cream into a bowl and whip until
soft peaks form.  Whisk in the sour cream and sugar, continuing to beat
until the mixture is very thick.
Place in the refrigerator and chill until it is time to serve.
If you want to make this ahead of time, it should last 4 to 6 hours in the
refrigerator.