SC - cuskynoles, continued...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 31 05:49:52 PST 1997

Michael Macchione wrote:

> Y'know this is starting to sound like some of my research diagrams (this
> point is an entire space, and this point is almost the entire space... but
> this point is just a point... :)

Either that, or one of those dinnertime military anecdotes where the
saltshaker is the Russian gun emplacement, and this napkin is the sea,
and these peas are the Light Brigade. This especially shiny, buttery pea
is Lord Cardigan...

> But back to topic.  Now, I have never made this dish before, but I was
> wondering, if it might be interpreted completely differently.  Roll out
> your dough, cut it into pieces, put a spoonful in the center of each
> piece, and then pull the four corners together to form a point, and then
> press the edges together.  So instead of an envelope or a ravioli, you get
> something like a small pouch.

Well, again, that would probably make a perfectly tasty dish, rather
like hammentaschen, as has been pointed out. The only difficulty (and
this is only as much of a difficulty as the individual cook wishes to
perceive it as) is that it isn't what the recipe tells us to do. What
Cariadoc and I have been discussing is not what would make the best
overall dish, but the meaning of the instructions the recipe gives us.
My goal is to come up with what I feel is the best tasting and best
looking interpretation, for me, that I can honestly say to my own
satisfaction, follows the recipe closely. Or, rather than following the
recipe closely, I'll say following the conception of the original cook /
author, because I think the recipe may not represent that conception
perfectly.

But as for hammentaschen-shaped cuskynoles: sure. I'd eat 'em.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com