SC - Kumiss

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Fri Oct 31 07:11:26 PST 1997

> Kael then asked:
> >I've never heard of kumiss.  Is it alcoholic?
>
> Yes. True kumiss is a drink made by various nomadic people and particularly
> the Mongols. While traditionally out of mare's milk (Mongol ponies are
> small as horses go), it can be made with cow milk. For those interested in
> directions and more details, take a look at this file in the BEVERAGES
> section of Stefan's Florilegium:

> Ld. Stefan li Rous
> mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com

I got to try kumiss a few weeks ago. As the new Elfsea Defender we were hosted
at all of the Cultural Camps on the site. In the Mongol encampment one of the
dishes offered was kumiss. I don't know if this was "real kumiss" or an easy-bake
variation but I thought it was wonderful. It tasted a bit like vodka mixed with
milk. This sounds disgusting but is actually pretty good. The milk smooths and
cools the bite of the alcohol while providing that wonderful warm relaxing glow
of hard alcohol. Not bad at all actually.

Yers,

Gunthar