SC - legal ownership of recipes on this list

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 16:59:57 PDT 1997

rebecca tants wrote:

> So, I went through EVERY book I have this weekend and have been over
> and over the stuff online and can't find a soup for my sideboard
> this upcoming weekend.  I had thought something like a beef with barley
> would be nice, but not one of my books on english cooking between the 14's
> and the 16's lists any grain or starch in a soup other then breadcrumbs.
>
> My parameters are
> 1) English if at ALL possible
> 2) Beef or Pork broth (allergy to poultry I'm avoiding)
> 3) Needs to sit on a sideboard all day
> 4) It's a fighting event - so it needs to be kind of filling/substantial
>
> Any Ideas?  Am I looking in the wrong places?  (I checked the Miscellany,
> Pleyn Delite, The Good Housewife, Fabulous Feasts (ick), 7 centuries of
> english cooking, cookery in England, Take a THousand Eggs or more, etc.)
>
> Has anyone seen documentation for something like this?

Gervase Markham has several pottages from the late 16th / early 17th
century (while the English Housewife is dated 1615, I believe, it's one
of his later works, and he had apparently been accused not of
plagiarizing someone else's work, but his own, from earlier works, so I
think he is acceptable for the tail end of late period). If I remember
correctly, at least one of the potttages in TEH contains oatmeal. I
think it's Boiled Meats Ordinary, but I could be wrong. I remember it as
a pottage of beef broth, cubed mutton or beef, herbs, and oats. Perhaps
the odd onion or two.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com