SC - soups with a grain in it

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Sep 2 11:39:49 PDT 1997

And it came to pass on  2 Sep 97, that rebecca tants wrote:

> So, I went through EVERY book I have this weekend and have been over
> and over the stuff online and can't find a soup for my sideboard
> this upcoming weekend.  I had thought something like a beef with
> barley would be nice, but not one of my books on english cooking
> between the 14's and the 16's lists any grain or starch in a soup
> other then breadcrumbs.

Timidly delurking....

In Hieatt's _An Ordinance of Pottage_, there is a recipe for "Gruel
enforsed", which is a thick soup-porridge based on a beef-pork broth.
She says in her commentary that gruel usually meant oatmeal, but
that it was sometimes made with barley, which is the grain she chose
for the redaction.

I don't know what list policy is concerning posting recipes... but
perhaps you have access to the book?

Hope this helps.

In service,
Brighid