Re- SC - Spices

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 3 12:24:21 PDT 1997

Stefan said:
 For cooking, I've usually used the powdered kind that comes in jars or
cans. I have tossed the sticks into mead and apple juice and such. Do you
break open the sticks and scrape the powder off? Put it in the food and
cook it like bay leaves and then remove it?
        Cinnamon (all kinds) start out by being bark quills which you grind
up
        to make the powder.  Powdered cinnamon can leave sauces and such
very cloudy so if you use the sticks it's much clearer. I usually crush the
quils a little bit to expose more surface.  Also powdered spices loses
potency faster than whole spices.

>And what do you mean by licorice sticks?
        I think he means licorice roots which are long thin roots you can
chew on.  Locally, you can get alot of these herbs from the Herb Bar on W.
Mary (It's down south for a change)  Also Whole Foods and the ever popular
Central Market.
You extract the flavoring by steeping or making an infusion.  If you'd like
to do infusions come to he Herbalist's Guild in December.  We're gearing up
to do
Medicinal herbs in December so I can let you know.

Clare St. John