Re- SC - Spices

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 12:53:16 PDT 1997

> Various cooking sodas (esp. sodium carbonate, commonly known today as
> washing soda) were in use in Roman cookery, although apparently not as a
> leavening for baking.

Are you certain of this?  I checked the box of washing soda (Na2CO3) I use as
a caustic cleaner in brewing, and find it to be 'harmful if swallowed'.  Is it
bicarbonate of soda {2Na(HCO3)} (what we call baking soda) that you refer
to?  Please give me a reference for the washing soda so I can double
check before using it in food products.

fra niccolo

Arm and Hammer (TM) gave me the chemical formulas for their products saying
they come from the same mineral, but have different refining processes.