SC - Italian cookbook

GARNER@admin.hnc.edu GARNER at admin.hnc.edu
Wed Sep 3 13:31:44 PDT 1997

> > Are you certain of this?  I checked the box of washing soda (Na2CO3)
> I use as
> > a caustic cleaner in brewing, and find it to be 'harmful if
> swallowed'.  Is it
> > bicarbonate of soda {2Na(HCO3)} (what we call baking soda) that you
> refer
> > to?  Please give me a reference for the washing soda so I can double
>
> > check before using it in food products.
> >
> > fra niccolo

> Fairly certain...I can't find the reference right now, but will look
> when I can. I believe it's somewhere in the Flower/Rosenbuam Apicius
> translation. I can only point out that numerous ingredients appear in
> old recipes that are now considered harmful if swallowed, especially
> when the modern manufacturer is trying to avoid lawsuits. The issue of
>
> quantity / proportions is also significant. Is this any more
> surprising
> than the fact that the Romans sometimes cooked in lead pots?
>
> Adamantius

Good point!  Maybe the empire would have lasted longer had they used the
lead to write and the soda to wash :o)
I'll keep an eye out for such references......this is an intriguing line
of research.......ingredients now found toxic.  Thanks for the lead
(that's lead as in thread to follow, not plebium the element of death).

fra niccolo