SC - OK - here's a kind of anal question...

ErrickII@aol.com ErrickII at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 18:00:54 PDT 1997

<<  I once read in passing that the Russians/Scandinavians had a word in
their vocabulary for cranberry but all other evidence that i have seen points
to cranberries being indigenous to the New World. In conjuntion with that, I
have made cookies using the dried cranberries in the past want to make them
for an upcoming event.>>

Congradulations! You've stumbled across an area where most SCA cooks must
agree to disagree. :-) There is in fact a New World Variety of cranberries
and an Old World variety of cranberries. The difference is that Old World
cranberries are rounder than New World cranberries. The disagreement is
whether they were used in the Old World as food. There is absolutely no
documented evidence dating to the Middle Ages to support the theory that
period Old World people ate them to my knowledge.

Personally, my gut reaction is go for it. If they're edible them someone must
have ate them. I would much rather see a cranberry at a feast than a potato,
tomato or pepper.

  <<Is baking soda/ baking powder period, or is there a period replacement
for them. >>

I don't know about the soda but baking powder is a modern invention. Period
leaven was sour dough or beer yeast as far as I know. Others should be able
to answer this better than I.

Lord Ras