SC - Flavoured oils query

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 06:09:04 PDT 1997

<< grape hyacinth (muscari atlanticum) bulbs used same as shallot (allium
 ascalonicum)
 >does this mean they could have been part of those allium heavy salat mixes?

 Does anybody know of mention of them in food lists, or seen illustrations of
 then in herbals or pictures of kitchen gardens?>>

According to my sources grape hyacinth bulbs are listed as 'poisonous'. Will
post more info on this as soon as it becomes available unless others already
know it. However, gladioli were used as and specifically raised for food by
the Romans. The tubers of dahlias were also raised as food by the Inca and
Aztecs.

<< "fruits of bitter orange have no food interest"
 >!! verjuice>>

I have never seen this orange used as verjuice but it is of intense flavor
and is used today as a flavor base for Grand Marnier and other triple sec or
orange based liqueurs.

 <<watermelons from North Africa>>

Yep. They were also raised in Europe. I have seen a wood cut of a farmer
pulling a cart loadded with large oblong striped objects which are obviously
watermelons.

 <<not trying to make trouble, just easily distracted by minute trivia!
 -brid  >>

Sure, sure, ok, uh huh. :-)

Lord Ras