SC - Cranberries?

Thu Sep 4 07:09:23 PDT 1997

(deleted)
>  <<Is baking soda/ baking powder period, or is there a period replacement
>for them. >>
>
>I don't know about the soda but baking powder is a modern invention. Period
>leaven was sour dough or beer yeast as far as I know. Others should be able
>to answer this better than I.
>
>Lord Ras

Baking powder is definitely out of period.  Baking soda is a big
question.  To my knowledge, there are no references to it being used in
cooking until the 1800's.  If you do use baking soda, use a little milk
of almonds or buttermilk to improve the action.

Sour dough was created by exposing a mixture of flour and water to the
air to trap wild yeast for leavening. Ale barm (top fermenting yeast
liquor) has been commonly used to leaven bread.  Beer barm (bottom
fermenting yeast liquor) was not used.  Unless you are after a specific
effect or are experimenting, I recommend sticking to dry active or
compressed baker's yeast.

Bear