SC - Serving at a Feast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 7 11:41:16 PDT 1997

And it came to pass on  6 Sep 97, that Stephen Bloch wrote:

> Ras wrote:
>
> > Well, not to disappoint you but it appears as if the lubricants of choice
> > based on extant recipes were as follows: British Isles, Northern France-
> > butter; Germany and Teutonic countries- lard; Italy, South France, Spain,
> > Portugal and the mid-east- olive oil.
>
> Katerine made some corrections to the "British Isles - butter" part.
>  I shall point out that in the cooking of the Arabic-speaking world
> (which, being a literate culture, has left us more cookbooks from
> longer ago than has Christian Europe), the primary lubricant seems
> to be rendered from the tail of the fat-tailed sheep

Not a correction, but an addition: in Spain, though olive oil was
much-used, pork fat appears to have been very popular also.   The
"Libro de Guisados" mentions lard in a number of recipes, but bacon
fat is even more common.  "Sofreirlas con buen tocino gordo" --
"Gently fry them in good fatty bacon".

Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net