SC - Aphrodisiacs

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 08:09:14 PDT 1997

     Aoife,

     Sorry to post an asnwer so long after your original question -- I've
     been busy preparing for the Coronation Feast for His Royal Majesty
     Alinon.

     About your gingerbread question.

     I made a gingerbread cake, cut into a heraldic rose, for a friend's
     SCA wedding.

     I got the recipes from "A Fifteenth Century Cookery Book" which quoted
     it from Halerian.

     To keep it from being too hard (like the granola bar texture you
     mentioned) I made my own saffron bread (also a 15th century recipe)
     and only let it sit one day (so it was still relatively soft).  I used
     a pound of honey, one large loaf of bread, and about a teaspoon of
     each of the spices (pepper, ginger, cinnamon and saffron).

     I got a great, brownie-like consistency  and the spices were hot
     enough to be pleasing, but not uncomfortable.

     Hope that helps some.

     Morgan