SC - snails and other things.

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Sep 10 18:13:23 PDT 1997

- --=====================_873927551==_

Hi folks.

        Well, I think I have the whole Gingerbread thing worked out. It's
quite tasty. I noticed the grittiness Raz mentioned, but I think this is the
way it's supposed to be. I chose to serve it in a pool of cream, for
texture/flavor contrast, and I have to brag a little. It's marvelous. I
chose to use commercial Italian style bread, as being heavier and
"wheatier", and having more mouth-feel than other types. If it was going to
be gritty, I wanted it to be gritty on purpose. Italian bread makes dense ,
fine crumbs that hold their nuttiness. It worked well with the honey and
spices, too.

Here's my redaction, along with the original. Feel free to use it and print
it other places. Please Note it was originally posted to sca-cooks by the
author.  A copy of those reprints is appreciated. Please give me credit by
name for the recipe redaction, along with my information: L. Herr-Gelatt, RR
1 Box 500F, Honesdale PA 18431 USA, liontamr at ptd.net . This recipe is
copyright September 10, 1997 at 2:20 pm by L. Herr-Gelatt.

Sorry for legal folderol. I feel strongly about protecting rights on the net!
Hope you enjoy the recipe. My 3-year old ate it up!

Aoife/L/ Herr-Gelatt

- --=====================_873927551==_

Gingerbrede (Curye on Inglysch)

Take goode honye & clarifie it on (th) fere, & take fayre panemayn or wastrel brede & grate it, & cast it into (th)e boylenge hony, & stere it well togyder faste with a sklyse (th)at it bren not to (th)e vessel. & (th)anne take it doun and put (th)erin ginger, long pepere &saunders, &tempere it up with (th)in handes; & than put hem to a flatt boyste & straw (th)eron suger, & pick (th)erin clowes rounde aboute by (th)e e(d)gge and in (th)e mydes, yf it plece you.

According to Mistress Sincgiefu, another similar ms reccomends serving decorated with boxwood leaves and another suggests putting it in boxwood boxes. I'm rather partial to decorating it with something green. Not having saunders to color the mixture red, I chose some cinnamon, which darkened the mixture a little and helped add that "bite" I wes after in redacting the recipe, and is a usual "modern" addition.

Aoife's Gingerbread (It bites back!)

1-- 1 lb 4 oz loaf of italian-style sliced bread, several days old.
1 1/3 cups honey
2 tsp. powdered ginger
1 1/2 tsp. powdered cinnamon
1/8-1/4 tsp ground white pepper
Sugar
Whole Cloves (optional)
Boxwood leaves or other edible leaves, or  marzipan leaves (optional)

Dry bread directly on oven racks on low est settinguntil very dry but still pale. Grind the slices into very fine crumbs in a food processor. Set aside in a large bowl.

In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat honey and spices (except cloves)  on high to boiling point. Reduce heat and allow to boil until a soft-ball stage has been reached. Remove from heat immediately.***Use caution! This honey mixture boils over rapidly and can cause sever burns. Please watch the pot carefully, and keep children out of the room.***

Pour honey over breadcrumbs and toss well. Allow to cool slightly, and use your hands to combine the honey and crumbs thoroughly.

Pack the mixture  into 2  8x3-1/2x2-1/2  loaf pans lined with parchment, waxed paper or plastic wrap. Press down hard on the surface to compact. Sprinkle with sugar. Stud with cloves if desired. Let sit several hours, or ideally, over night, so that the flavors of the spices will mingle and the mixture will set-up.

To Serve:
Unmold and remove wrap from gingerbread. Serve whole,  decorated with boxwood or marzipan leaves or other edible leaves, if desired (sliced oranges would look pretty, too). Serve on  a very dark plates for color contrast.

Although the original does not suggest to do so,  this is particularly good when served in a pool of unsweetened  cream. The smooth richness of the cream and the spicy grittiness of the gingerbread compliment each other very well.