SC - snails and other t

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Thu Sep 11 08:20:44 PDT 1997

At 09:23 AM 9/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Date: 10 Sep 1997 18:13:23 U
>From: "Mark Harris" <mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com>
>Subject: SC - snails and other things.
>
>Aoife commented:
>>  Q: When does the earlist recipe for snails occur?
>
>I'd like to hear about this. Anyone got any recipes? I have seen canned
>snails in the grocery store, but didn't have any idea how one would cook
>or eat them. I can very well imagine them being served at a medieval
>feast. Although without forks I'm not sure how to eat them. Perhaps you
>were to dig them out with a knife. Or perhaps they were served to the
>table already out of the shells.
>
>Stefan li Rous
>markh at risc.sps.mot.com
>

>Adamantius, who was planning to go into the whole snails thing
>tomorrow...
>______________________________________
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at asan.com

><snip>
>>>  Q: When does the earlist recipe for snails occur?
>>
>Hello!  A few random tidbits for you...
>
>There are 3 recipes for snails in Apicius.
>
>>From Gargantua and Pantagruel by Francois Rabelais, 1483-1553:
>'Then he doused the leaves (and pilgrims) with salt, vinegar, and oil, and,
>for refreshment before supper, began to eat.  He had already swallowed five
>pilgrims and the sixth lay under a leaf, completely invisible save for his
>staff, when Grangousier pointed to the latter.
>"Look, Gargantua, that's a snail's horn.  Don't eat it!"
>"Why not?  Snails are good this month."'
>
>Hartley mentions snails in 'Food in England' & says the large edible
>variety was imported by the Romans.  She also mentions periwinkles -
>they're removed from their shells when cooked using a pin.
>
>Also, if you count Whelks as being overgrown 'snails', there are a few
>recipes in the Harleian MSS. c. 1450.
>
>HTH,
>
>Cindy/Sincgiefu
>renfrow at skylands.net

Oh NO! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE! I was joking, folks. I really don't care to know
about snails (though I HAVE eaten winkles, which I am genetically
programmed--cockney, m'dear-- to enjoy). That'll teach me to make fun of our
esoteric pursuits!

Actually, I WAs going to say Salamanders, that being the other thing my
garden is currently over-run with, but then I was afraid of starting a
discussion on recipes for love potions or some such other nonsense.

Aoife--who drives around the orange salamanders in the driveway cause
they're so darned cute.

****Equal Rights for Slugs. Snails have feelings, too. Plus, they have
eyeballs on the ends of stalks and leave a cute little silver trail behind
them when they glide peacefully along.******

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
				---Alexandre Dumas

Experience is simply the name we give to our mistakes.
				---Oscar Wilde

Hold tight, Grommit. Think of Lancashire Hotpot.
				---Wallace, A Grande Day Out