SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #262

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 11 09:52:43 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - Columbus menu II                    9/11/97

> << so summer squash (patty pans, zucchini etc) are new
> world and winter squash(gourds, acorn etc) are old world/period??  Or the
other way round? or neither?
>  -brid
>
> Nope. Cucumbers, watermelons, and luffa gourds are old
> world the rest are new world.

<snip>
food item is "new world" does NOT mean that it is
non-period for Europeans.
<snip>

I should have qualified my statement a bit more... I wanted to know which were
"native" to Europe/Asia, and which were introduced from the Americas.  I wholy
agree that if you are colonizing or have been trapped on a boat with rations
for months- you are going to eat what you find, and if it is good and you are
going back where you came from you would probably attempt to take some samples
home with you and say "here, try this".  I was just hoping for clarification
since so many veges are called "squash"- which is which and wheres it from.
so we have cukes, melons, lufas (edible?) native/period;
squash(summer, winter) introduced/late period... yes?
- -brid