SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #262

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 11 20:59:19 PDT 1997

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> are too wonky even for me. I can't decide if the lack of slug recipes is
> because the author figured he didn't want to go too far, or if it is a
> safe bet that any recipe for snails will be good for slugs.
>
> I suppose it's possible they may be poisonous. Not likely, though.

Never tried them myself, but I have in my hand a table where they list
the nutritional content of some things of potntial food value for
wilderness survival:

Species        Water (%)       Protein       Fat (g/kg f.w.)
                            (g/kg fresh wt)
slugs           79.0             174              18
"ants eggs"[1]  70.0             143              25
Frogs legs      82.0             164               3
Moose           72.4             250              25
[1] actually the larvae, IIRC

So, yes they are fully edible, even if I have (not yet) tried them myself.
Supposedly they foam up quite a bit (all the slime) if you just boil them,
so pre-roasting is recommended... The slug specified was "our" regular
"black forest slug" over here in Sweden. "Vanilla" slugs, so to say.

/UlfR
(who also could tell you the nutritional content of dandelions, acorns,
reeds and cattails, among other things)

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
"Let's not ask any questions we don't really want to hear the
answers to."