SC - Re:Slug-fest '97

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 12 06:26:41 PDT 1997

Nick Sasso wrote:

> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > .....BTW, never put potato peelings in a stock; they'll cloud it
> > almost irrevocably.
> >
> > Carrots, onions, leeks, cabbage (used judiciously), parsnips, turnips
> > (again, with discretion), mushrooms, and a plethora of other
> > vegetables
> > are all fair game.
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> Those pesky starches will do the same thing to my beer!  Anything else
> that will devalue a stock?  Salt is certainly a precarious rope to
> walk.  Beans seem an obvious no-no.
>
> niccolo

Well, you can't let it boil for any length of time if there's a lot of
fatty stuff in it. The other stuff is probably pretty much common sense.
Don't season it until AFTER it's done and you know what you're doing
with it, etc.

For fish stocks, be sure to remove the gills from any fish heads that
may end up in there. Rumor has it among otherwise excellent chefs that
you can't make a decent salmon stock; you can if you remove the gills
from the heads and trim the belly fat severely.

Oh. Any spices you include, should be whole.

I'm not sure this helps, but it's what I've got until after I've had my
tea...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com