SC - Back to snails

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Fri Sep 12 10:30:03 PDT 1997

I asked about medieval snail recipes. Some of you did give me referances
to snail being eaten in the Middle ages. Then we kind of got off on some
side conversations.

Adamantius said:

>>>On a side note, my son's kindergarten class had a tankful of lovely, fat
escargots as class pets until last June. They were looking for someone
to take them home over the summer, and I had my eye on them, with
visions of either garlic butter and parsley, or veal bordelaise sauce,
dancing in my head. Somebody else took them home, though. Sigh.<<<

So, does anyone have any medieval recipes, perhaps redactions of the
ones mentioned? Particularly those where the canned snails in the grocery
store would be appropriate.

Although, I'm starting to build my collection of medieval recipe books, I don't
have any of those mentioned. And secondly, I'm still learning to interprete
and redact these. So an actual redaction or two along with the original
would be nice. Would these two recipes that Adamantius mentioned be medieval?
I'm not even sure what veal bordelaise sauce is. I assume this is something
to put on veal and not something made of veal, but...

Anybody know if snails were served in the shells or out of them at a medieval
feast? Hmmm. Were shellfish served in the shell or out of them? or both?

Thanks.
  STefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com