SC - RE: Shameless plugs!

Louise Sugar dragonfyr at tycho.com
Sat Sep 13 02:50:27 PDT 1997

Julleran asked:

Okay, I will. I saw a science program for kids called Beakman's World and
he gave a recipe for making sugar "glass" like they use in movies. It
used Karo syrup. How did they make it in period? I saw a documentary on
Lorenzo Medici and they said that he had a lot of things made from candy
glass at his wedding. I've always wondered how it was done.

There are several messages in this file in the FOOD section of Stefan's
Florilegium about making stained window solteties:

sotelties-msg     (72K)  5/21/97    Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.

They also mention to be very careful. Apparently you can get some nasty
burns dealing with this hot, sticky substance.

Anyone interested in finding out more about the sugar-paste plates and
such that Alys mentions might want to look at this file which is in the
same section:

sugar-paste-msg   (36K)  3/ 8/95    Making sugar paste sotelties.

This is something that is on my list of things to try. I've purchased
the commercial sugar paste. Now I just need time and inspiration.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com

(My files are available at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html)