SC - Soup stock

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Sat Sep 13 11:54:26 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> First I'd try to find another onion vendor. My onions do not have the
> black
> layer you descirbe unless they have been stored improperly. Secondly,
> worked for an old Italian gentleman as head cook several years ago and
> we
> always had a stock pot simmering on the back of the stove,. We put
> carrot
> peelings, outer cabbage leaves, oonion skins, stems , stalks
> bones...you name
> it. It produced some of the mopst heavenly Minestrone you could ever
> eat. :-)
> As a matter of course I scrub and wash my vegetables well but do not,
> for the
> most part peel them. Most of the vitamins are immediately under the
> skin.
> There is nothing unsanitary about the skins if you wash them first.
>
> Lord Ras

I am highly allergic to molds and certain fungi. Most vegetables bought
in the grcery store are stored properly, it is just that in the late
winter and early spring we are buying warehoused stock, and no matter
how careful you are, the spoors for the mold get into the onion while in
the ground. There are many molds and fungi that are not visually
apparent as green or white fuzzies, but as a fine black dust[in this
case]. I got the clue from my allergist, and i haven't had what i
thought was an allergic reaction to onions since then-but I am careful
to find out what people put in their homemade stock before i eat it.

I admit, I like my potatos with the skin on, but again have to be very
careful with the condition of the skin.

margali