SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #269

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Sep 15 07:06:42 PDT 1997

> Wendy Trankle wrote:
> >
> > Greetings to all!
> >
> > As a relative newcomer to the SCA I have decided that my interest in
>
> > cooking could be about to take a very interesting turn indeed.  Can
> > anyone suggest good books for the beginner.  All help will be much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Gwen Seis

Greetings to all who recieve this message! and especially to you, Gwen
Seis!

    Another resource for the beggining cook is a pamphlet by Mistress
Siobhan Medhbh O'Roarke: Traveling Dysshes  or, foods for wars, peace,
and potlucks.  I think it is a wonderful booklte for beginning cooks,
and I have found the recipes I have used from it to be very well
recieved.  All my friends in the SCA think I am now a wonderful cook.
Copies are available from the author by writing to : Pat McGregor, 3507
Santos Circle, Cameron Park, CA 95682-8247.   Also can be contacted at
pat at lloyd.com.

    On another topic, I am having trouble with my Quick Breads rising in
the middle way too high and cracking terribly.  The oven I am using is
electric (sigh) and off kilter.  I am using an independent thermomater,
but I have forgotten the technique for keeping the loaf from crowning so
high and browning too dark while the center does not bake through.  All
suggestions are welcome.

Sincerely,

Caointiarn

> SCA-Cooks".

> SCA-Cooks".

- --
"calculated mischief is invigorating" - mary anne radmacher-hershey