SC - edible peers

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Sep 15 10:05:38 PDT 1997

  Well, I used to do alot of this type of work but, I think we need
  someone that is good at it to do it. So where is Tibor? If we cannot
  find someone to do it maybe I can get my Baron/Herald to do up the
  design for us.

Hi.  I was off for a week, and I am 3,000 messages behind in my email.  I'm
searching now for messages with my name in them.  (:-)

You want a badge?  I didn't see the commentary.

Personal opinion, first.  The folks in the SCA use badges in ways that are
not consonant with period usages.  To drastically oversimplify: we use them
for ID or business cards, but THEY used them to mark "stuff that is mine".
Flags and forms of allegiance (such as the plant badges of Scottish fame)
are basically military alliance markers, and not quite  the same thing.

It's something we do a lot of in the SCA, but should we do it?  I don't
think so.  But that's my opinion.  You want a herald, maybe, to work with
you on a badge?  I can do it.  (Although, I say with some long experience,
it is a nascent stage a lot of SCA mailing lists and such go through, and
the desire fades with time.... see the Rialto FAQ for a good distillation of
the many-years-debate that went on there, in the early 90s, when the Gods
were young and AOL hadn't despoiled the ether.  :-)

I can think of several symbols that are cooking related, and yet quite
medieval.  Anyone want a saint's martyr's symbol, the gridiron?  Old Marian
(of Battlefield Bakery Fame) uses a pretzel, and the Cooks Guild of
Carolingia uses 3 blackbirds circling over a pie.  For that matter, the
brewers of Carolingia use an egg floating on water.... which is tres
appropriate.

I'd be glad to help.  Someone let me know if that would be useful.

	Tibor