SC - edible peers

Mon Sep 15 10:58:41 PDT 1997

Oops, I'm answering the question that wasn't asked! 8-0!!  Thought they
said WAFER iron, not WAFFLE iron... figured it out when editing down the
previous- message-enclosed bit.  Answer works anyway. 8-)
 - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can always try big flea markets.  I've found two nice,
put-it-over-the-burner or camp fire-source Scandinavian style cast-iron
wafer irons at our local big-flea-market in the past 5 years.  Of
course, I'm in the Pacific NW, and there are a number of Scandinavian
enclaves up here.  (One of the irons has a Scandinavian maker's mark, am
not sure about the other.  One may actually be more like aluminum??)
These are NOT Waffle irons, either.  (A wafer iron is a pizzelle iron?,
makes a flat, elaborately patterned (like an etching), crisp round (6"?)
that's 1/8 inch or less thick.  A waffle iron has an internal grid of
1/4 inch square depressions, the campfire ones may come in round or
single square shapes.)  We saw waffle-irons about 20 times more
frequently (at Picadilly) than wafer irons during that 5 year period...

The patterns look reasonable, and I've actually used them (at home) over
an open-fire heat-source.  Have only tried a couple of times, don't have
the recipe settled yet.  They'd make great ice-cream cones 8-)

Patricia R. Dunham - Eugene Public - 100 W 13th Ave - 97401
patricia.r.dunham at ci.eugene.or.us - 541-984-8321
http://204.203.17.34/library (EPL)     <<<>>>
http://members.aol.com/gerekr/medieval.html (home)