SC - Wheatena

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 15 16:32:20 PDT 1997

> although recipes dating from period using the foods you so
> vehemently defend are non-existent

To all, my apologies for the appearance of antagonism.
I did not mean to be antagonistic, but have had to
defend New World foods so often that it becomes
(as I indicated in the original message) a "hot-button".

Upon this point of recipes using New World foods, I must
beg to differ with Ras, as humbly as I may.

There may not be currently known-extant written
works giving chapter&verse exacting proportions, but
there are sources at least as descriptive as some of
the known European recipe materials. These may be found
in such places as explorer's journals, ship's logs,
inventories of seized goods, and even (I am told) ship
manifests.  (Brief side humor: "Awright, the bloomin'
paper 'ere sez 'beans, village of ' -THUNDERATION, another
one of them unpronouncable places- just where are we
supposed to stuff 'em 'til His Nibs wants 'em?")

Another much-maligned source, sometimes rightly so
but not *always* so, is oral tradition and surviving
folk-use. As we have no hope of recovering written
Aztec, Mayan, and more North American recipes, there
is still _some_ validity in taking the earliest
available records of the explorers, colonists,
and early religious converts when we consider
the use of New World ingredients.

Not perfect, certainly, but neither anything to be
completely ignored.

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!

- ---Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << Trying to pass off a given variety of New World squash
>  as dating to Roman tables would be just plain stupid.
>   >>

> The original thread had nothing to do with the subject you brought
up,
> although recipes dating from period using the foods you so
vehemently defend
> are non-existent. In your example above which we agree  on, Vehling's
> translation of Apicius blatantly makes this error a number of times.
I ,
> pwersonally would like to stick to period recipes. Conjecture about
whether
> an item was used for food or not during late period is just that.
Certain
> items like tomatos and potatoes were  used mainly for ddecorative
plants much
> as we use marigolds. And corn was regularly consumed by humans
except in
> Italy until well after period.
>
> Lord Ras

SCA-Cooks".