SC - Stained Glass Questions

Tue Sep 16 11:26:07 PDT 1997

Good and smart readers and lurkers of the list.  I have come upon a recipe in
a mundane cookbook which claims to be old french...I enclude it below and beg
to see if someone can come up with a period equivelent.  It tastes wonderful.

Elk Game Pie

2TBSP Olive oil
3 pounds ground elk
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 celery stalks chopped into 1/8 inch pieces
1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
1 10 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
Salt and freshly ground pepper

French pastry shell:
4 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup chilled butter, cubed
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup cold water
1 TBSP Olive oil

TO make the filling,
Brown the elk in the olive oil, remove elk and saute the onions and celery in
the pan drippings.  Add the elk back, along with the milk, soup, and salt and
pepper to taste.  Place in the pastry shell ( I guess they take for granted
you know how to make it) cover with a top, and cook in a pre heated 400
degree oven for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 and bake 1 hour.  It mentions
it goes well with a homemade chutney.

Aldyth