SC - help-Queen Ann's La

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Tue Sep 16 21:23:53 PDT 1997

Actually when I make cheese I've been using mushroom extract for rennet.
While it is not period it's easily found, vegetarians can eat the cheese
and it's easily stored.  I can't recall the name of it right off but I've
found it in three stores here in Bryn Gwlad.  One day I'm gonna track down
rennet from a calf and see what happens.  I'm getting ready to make some
for a couple of events and one of the things I'm planning on is trying
nettles and a few of the other rennet plants.  We have a species related to
Lady's bedstraw that grows here in the spring and I'd like to try that...
see if it works.

Clare St. John

      You might want to go to  http://www.windward.org/ush/ush.htm  (The
University of St Hildegarde site) and look at the cheesemaking article there.
It went into some detail on different ways to obtain rennet from calves'
stomachs, plus a rundown of how well various plants work to achieve the same
effect. Lots of good info!

Ldy Diana, who would love to visit this wonderful place in