SC - Cooks party

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Sep 18 11:40:45 PDT 1997

>> LadyBetta at aol.com wrote:
>> >
>> > Help me please, I lost my copy of a recipe I got here, Roast Beef with
>> > Crisps, a delicious roast with figs and dates, If anyone has a copy of it
>> > will you PLEASE post it. As I promised to make it for my Future
>>In-laws <snip>>> Adamantius
>
>I did post this a while back but I don't have access to it right now. I am
>ashamed to say it is about the only decent recipe from "Fabulous Feasts".
>If anybody has a copy of it they should be able to find the recipe with
>no problem.
>
>I will try to check my database tonight and see if I have it on file.
>
>Sorry that I couldn't help more.
>
>Yers,
>
>Gunthar

O.K. Thanks for the citation Gunthar! - Here it is paraphrased from
Fabulous Feasts, by M.P. Cosman, p. 165:

A Roste (Beef Roast with Crisps)

4 or more Tablespoons oil or butter
5 lbs. beef roast, tied with butcher's cord
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried sweet basil, crushed
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp thyme
1 c. pitted dates, halved
1 c. dried figs, stems removed, sliced
1/2 c. dried apple rings, halved
2 Tablespoons brown sugar or honey
1 1/2 c. beef stock

Batter: 1 c. flour
1 egg
2/3 c. milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 scant tsp baking powder
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley, crushed

preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Dredge roast in mixture of flour, cinnamon &
salt & sear in oil in dutch oven.  Mix herbs & dried fruits & arrange
around the roast.  Add sugar or honey, and beef stock.  Cover tightly &
bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours, or until tender.  Remove from oven & let
sit 30 min.  Meanwhile combine batter ingredients & pour over roast.   Bake
at 450 degrees for 5 to 10 min. or until crust is browned.

BTW, this title has be re-printed.  I love the illustrations!

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net