SC - Return of the Dread Recipe Challenge

Suzanne Berry sberry at primavera.com
Thu Sep 18 12:36:24 PDT 1997

> However, I haven't seen any
> rolled sandwich recipes in any of the period cookbooks I have looked at.
> In fact, now that I think of it, I haven't seen any recipes or mention of
> sandwiches. Is that in fact a fairly new invention? It seems impossible
> but not having chocolate in period seemed impossible to me once.
>
> Clarissa di Firenze

I was thinking of the rolled flatbread sandwiches of Scandanavia.  Flotbrod has
been eaten for centuries and the Northerners frequently roll fish salad, jam,
egg salad, etc.. for easy lunches.

I am unsure of how old this practice is but knowledge of period Scandanavian
cooking is very sketchy.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Yers,

Gunthar