SC - Acolytes

Phyllis Spurr PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Thu Sep 18 13:36:32 PDT 1997

barbara at mail.topher.net replied:

> Some years ago our shire held a Heraldic Symposium and Nightmare
> Ball (everyone was to come as their favorite Heraldic Nightmare),
> and we planned on doing as you discribe.  However we were over
> rulled by the populous who insisted on putting up tables and having a
> sit down feast (they went into the closet and got the tables out
> themselves.  Very strange).  Just thought it was interesting how
> things don't always go as planned.

Ooooohhh, been there, have scars from that....

A couple of years ago I autocratted a Midsummer Fest.  We carefully decorated the hall (newly painted so nothing could be tacked to the wall) and the whole thing was set up to be a village carnival, or Midsummer Faire.  A quest, games, gypsy fortune tellers, you name it.  The hall was fairly small so this was tricky!  My Head Cook and I planned a magnificent "remove"-less feast, with different dishes set up at different stations around the hall (to promote mingling, and a carnival-like atmosphere) and foods brought out at different times.

Naturally, the Nobs showed up, chewed me raw for not setting up a head table (it was a village carnival theme, for krissakes) and promptly had their escort rearrange our entire hall so that all the food had to be served from ONE long table at the wrong end of the hall from the kitchen.  Which of course ended up in us having the dreary dull one-long-line-and-everyone-has-to-wait .....  yecchhh.  Spoiled the whole feeling of the event.  THEN I got reamed for charging so much for a "one-remove" feast...

Sheesh....

	- kat
	(cathedral floor-sweeper, and proud...)