Re- SC - Hierarchy-Cath

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Sep 18 14:03:44 PDT 1997

Good Afternoon Your Excellancy,

As to the badge issue.

> So, without any disrespect, I'd say "I don't think it matters".

In a way I agree. If the people on this list would like a symbol of
recognition that's terrific. If they want a badge formally submitted to
the Office of Heralds, terrific. If they wish just some unregistered form
of recognition, then let's do it.

What matters is that there is something going on here that people are excited
about.  Many of us "Old-timers" and "Middle-timers" have gotten stale on the
SCA and I am thrilled that this list has changed many of my ingrained attitudes
on the art of cooking feasts.  If having a badge of recognition makes this
more fun then I am all for it and will throw no wet blankets.

Imagine the situation when I was looking for Ld. Ras at his camp at Pennsic.
I'm sure the camp guards didn't know Gunthar from Granola but if they'd been
aware of Ld. Ras' proudly worn and displayed "Salamander" and noticed me wearing
one as well, they may have had a better idea of why we wanted to meet.  Many
members of this list are shy, especially the lurkers out there.  That's one
reason they wound up in the kitchen in the first place. They were useful, they
got to know people in a non-threatening environment, and they felt they made a
difference.  If one of the shy lurkers should be walking around Pennsic and
saw a camp banner flying the "Salamander" they would feel much more comfortable
saying "Hello"

> Of course, the BEST possible way to resolve the problem is to have one of us
> hold a TREMENDOUS party at some interkingdom events.  (:-)  And issue
> invitations here.

Once again, no argument there. But the party site flying the banner would be
a great rallying point.

> Story to illustrate: just before I became involved in the SCA, I went to a
> local science fiction convention.  I felt really left out, because everyone
> seemed to know everyone else: except me.  I went back a few years later
> after becoming involved in the SCA: now I knew everyone, it seemed like.
>
> I'd hate to create this fraternity atmosphere for others, where everyone
> knew everyone else, except them.

I hate to say this but the fraternity atmosphere exists no matter what. I have
a hard time just going up and saying "Hi".  I do have the advantage that I can
watch a couple of fighters and by virtue of my belt introduce myself and offer
training and fighting tips, thereby becoming aquainted with someone with similar
interests.

> But the herald in me resists the "resume" sheet that
> people in the SCA are so prone to... you know, this color feather, that
> color netting, 25 bits of heraldry festooned on ones clanking person, 3
> belts, 2 scarves....
>
> If I wear anything at an event, it's generally my fancy "hat", which my
> lovely wife commissioned for me.  It's got my arms on it.  I go to events to
> be me, not to wear 10 pieces of deconstructionist interest-flags.

I'm the same as you. I don't tend to wear any of my "goodies" except my belt
and chain (because if I didn't someone would construe it as some sort of
"political statement") or the appropriate danglie for what I'm doing (my Iris
when I'm cooking or participating in an A&S function).

I prefer to be just "Gunthar" and let people make up their own minds.

> Like I said... I'm cynical.  I'm also a full-service herald.  I will help
> people create arms and badges, because even bad or misused pageantry is
> better than none at all.  By a long shot.  And, besides: I like to help.

Your help is greatly appreciated both on this list and in your Kingdom.

> 	Tibor

Yers,

Gunthar