SC - Occupations

Wendy Trankle wendyt at mail.telis.org
Thu Sep 18 18:50:09 PDT 1997

>Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:43:11 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Russell Gilman-Hunt <conchobar at rocketmail.com>
>Subject: SC - recipe request (dessert, Irish/English or whatever)
>
>Hello, the Congregation!
>
>I am an Irishman, looking to make an appropriate dessert for
>a potluck later next month.  I have 2 dogs, 4 cats and an
>8 month child, and a wife. . . I need something I can do in
>maybe an hour.  I am from the 12th century (~1130).
>
>So I am looking for a recipe for a dessert, perferably in some
>variant of English from that time period.  (heck, ANY Irish
>12th century ideas would be welcome!)  I'm a pretty good cook,
>but a lousy confectioner (made lollipops once; I wound up with
>sticks floating in a nice green sugar sauce that tasted of food
>coloring).
>
>English would be OK, or something brought back from the first
>Crusade or something (persona history is still a little vague.)
>
>Any ideas?
>
>And an "Aye" for pappa Gunther!
>===
>Possum.
>"I can."
>
>What is a friend?  A single soul dwelling in two bodies.
>- --Aristotle

OOOOh and a bard to boot. If you have red hair I'll marry you.

How about Apple Charlet (the distant cousin of Apple Charlotte).

You need apple puree, sweetened w/ sugar, made with sauteed apple slices,
butter, spices. It needs to be very thick.

Next take the crusts off of white bread slices. Butter one side. Arrange
butter-side down in a loaf pan, covering the sides, too. If you're feeling
creative, cut the bread up to make geometric shapes. But every cranny must
be covered. Pour in the apple puree. Cover with more bread butter side up.
Bake in a moderate oven until bread begins to brown. Remove and cool about
15 minutes-1/2 hour. Unmold onto plate. Squeeze with lemon juice lightly and
sprinkle with sugar. Serve with cream.

Sorry--no documentation. It's lost in the nether regions of my brain in a
file I used about 10 years ago. But it's so yummy and kid-approved, i
remembered it.

Aoife---still waiting for dinner at 9 pm.