SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #287

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Fri Sep 19 22:41:33 PDT 1997

Jeanne Stapleton wrote:

> SCA-cooks dudes!
>
> Next week is our first Caer Galen Dance Collegium!  I'm in charge of
> eats!  Last night we held our first work party and cranked out
> scones, gingersnaps (not period), and shortbread.
>
> For next week's work party, I need to have recipes for candied citrus
> peel and Turkish coffee...I can't *find* mine and this week at work
> and out is hellacious...can I call on y'all for some help?
>
> Appreciate it muchly,
>
> Berengaria

Turkish coffee-easy.

Get some regular french roast coffee, epresso grind it, add a few
cardamom seeds, place a heaping tbsp per person in a sauce pan, about 2
tb sugar,6 oz water per person. Bring to a boil, remove from heat to
stop the boil, repeat another t2 times ,
pour gently into glasses and make sure each glass has some of the foam
on top.

Candied citrus peel, instant version
I put a cup or so of sugar into a pot, melt, put the citrus zest in and
let limmer very gently for 30 min or so. Take off heat, take each piece
of zest and let it dry slightly, then roll in granulated sugar to coat,
then use. If I  want to candy it to presserv it, that is a different
story.

margali