SC - Re: rabbir/hare

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Sun Sep 21 14:28:41 PDT 1997

Good my Lords and Ladies
With respect to rabbit meat, we in Australia have a rampant
population of feral 'English' rabbits (my preferred method of cooking
is stuffed with mushrooms sauteed in butter, then covered with bacon,
then roasted), and the flesh is always white.  I had an interesting
time with this at one stage.  When we ate my husband's honours
experiment (pigeons) we made a stew and stretched the pigeon meat
with rabbit, thinking to mollify those who were uncertain about
eating pigeons they had known...  Um.  Pigeon meat is stark black when
cooked and rabbit very very white...
Also, with respect to the Pappardelle.  A modern Italian book refers
to the recipe as pasta with a thin sauce made from the stock.  It
also states that the pappardelle (at least now) are the flat scraps
left over from cutting out all the normal shapes.  No, I don't
remember the reference.  All my books are in storage.  HOWL.
Cairistiona

Dr. Ian van Tets
Dept. of Zoology
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701 RSA

ph: +27 +21 650 3641 (w), 650 3301 (fax), 47 5324 (H)