SC - Potatoes?

LadyBetta@aol.com LadyBetta at aol.com
Sun Sep 21 14:50:10 PDT 1997

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 01:44:50 -0400 Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
writes:

 It does seem as if the cook's art is less essential to
>the
>SCA experience, for many people, than many other SCA pursuits.

Maybe because so many people spend so much time consuming fast food that
even a bad feast is better than what they're used to? I can't believe
some of the feasts that I've eaten that I thought were awful and others
raved about.

 I don't
>know what can be done to change this. On the other hand, forewarned is
>forearmed, and it behooves a cook to prepare dishes that CAN be kept
>warm without loss of quality.

The last RP event I cooked (other than lunches at two Southern Regional
Warcamps) I had the opposite problem! It was January, I think, and a
blizzard was heading in. The Queen asked me if I could serve dinner 1 1/2
hours early. I finished the chickens at 425 degrees and burned the bottom
of the stew when I turned it up. It was supposed to be roast beef, but
half the ovens didn't work when we got there! I thought the whole thing
was a disaster, but I got a lot of complements. I've always told myself
that they were being nice to me since I'd had so many problems in the
kitchen that day, but I suspect that at least some of the complementers
don't know what good food is. I quit volunteering to cook RP events after
that. The locals are trying to talk me into doing it again, but so far,
I've managed to avoid it!