SC - cloven fruit

Griff41520@aol.com Griff41520 at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 08:26:16 PDT 1997

Donna Kenton wrote:

> On this note, what's the most interesting thing you've cooked over a
> campfire?  I'm already looking for ideas for next summer's camping.
> <grin>  If anyone is interested, I'll collect this thread, and make it
>
> available as one document or add it to my web site.
>
> Rosalinde
> --

One fine camping event many years ago, the campground we were in had let
the modern people camp across the road from us 'wierdos'. We had the
terrible fortune to be kittycornered from a peevish old lady with the
most unholy toy poodle. Said poodle kept getting out of the popup
trailer and darting at people yapping franitcally. Saturday afternoon
comes aroune, and onto the spit we put a fine fat bunny. It had been
ominpusly quiet, we figured the stupid thing had yapped its way to a
coronary event and were relieved at the lack of noise. Suddeenly, we get
accused of popping poopsie onto the spit. It went so far as her having
the police called, and we simply had the cops call the groceriy store at
home, who had ordered the bunny for us. As the cops were getting ready
to leave, ack trots the little monster, soaking wet. Seems like poopsie
got out and went for a swim on the fishpond. We never did get an apology
from her or the campsite for the entire mess.

perhaps not the best example of campfire cooking, but a funny one.

I make what I call crepes Benedict as a sunday breakfast at events while
everybody else tear down the camp. I make a stack of crepes, standard
recipe. Then I start the bacon. When the bacon is almost done, I start a
whole bunch of egg whites and a batch of eggbeaters. In a jellyroll pan
on the warm side of the now dying fire, I put the crpes together-roll
scrambled eggs with about half the bacon crumbled into the crepes, until
all the crepes are done. If I can find a volunteer to do it, I proceed
to the last step and do it at the same time. I make the Hollandaise
sauce[the herbed vinegar version] and top the crepes with it and the
rest of the bacon crumbled.

All things considered, since I take most of my batterie de cuisine with
me to camping events that I am doing the cooking at, or if the
feastocrat needs to borrow some, it is not that difficult. 2 saute pans
for the crepes, my #16 skillet for the bacon, the #14 for the eggs, and
the 2qt saucier/bain marie for the sauce, and the jellyroll pan to hold
the rolled crepes.

margali