SC - Crustade?

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Mon Sep 22 09:12:18 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei 9/22/97 10:25 AM

>Adamantius wrote:
>  It's been pointed out to me (by a costuming Laurel friend) that the East
>  Kingdom has many, many, more costuming, and C&I Laurels than it has
>  cooking Laurels. In the past two years or so five or six Laurels for
>  cooking were made, myself included, but they are still vastly
>  outnumbered. It does seem as if the cook's art is less essential to the
>  SCA experience, for many people, than many other SCA pursuits.

Having lived in Atlantia, the East and now Ansteorra, I would have to say
that Costuming is by far the most likely reason to become a Laurel.
Ansteorra, to the best of my knowledge, has 1 cooking Laurel, Mistress
Meadbh.  She is a wonderful cook and very knowledgable of medieval
cooking and particularly Roman cookery. She is also an excellent teacher.
There are other Laurels who cook and are very knowledgable (Mistress
Clare comes to mind immediately) but were not given the Laurel for that
skill specifically).

Baroness Clarissa di Firenze
Seneschal, Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Kingdom of Ansteorra