SC - Held up feast

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Mon Sep 22 10:19:33 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

>                       RE>>SC - Held up feast                       9/22/97
>
> <snip>
> That seems to  be the same problem here in Ansteorra.  It took a long
> time for cooking to be recognized as an art form here.  A number <snip>
>
> I heard someone out here (West) suggest that cooks ought to be Pelicaned
> rather than laureled   :)
> -brid

I've heard that argument before, but am curious as to what reason is
given. I'm also curious as to what percentage of cooks in the West
actually make it to the Pelican poll.

My suspicion is one could argue that a cook who regularly does bulk,
industrial-grade cooking for large events, which is certainly a
difficult enough job to consider a service award for that person, but
who doesn't attempt to do cooking as a serious, period art, would be in
line for a Pelican or other service award.

If the art is pursued as a period art form, demonstrating, if not always
practicing, a knowledge of period style, technique, and technology, then
what's the harm in giving a Laurel or other arts award for it? It's as
if a person who makes beautiful, proper garb for dozens of people were
to be considered for a service award instead of an arts award. It
distorts the focus a bit.

If I were told (hypothetically speaking ;  )  ) that my service to my
Province and my kingdom was greater than my artistic achivement, to the
point that people felt I should be given a service award and not an arts
award, I'd be kind of insulted. It is always nice to be recognized, but
it is even better to be understood by the people recognizing you.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com