SC - Cauliflower

Mon Sep 22 10:54:31 PDT 1997

  point taken, I was actually thinking of someting along the lines of Sir Hilary
  of Serendip's heraldry.  Her's is an "S" the top half of which becomes a
  salamander.  It's listed in the armorial, I can't remember for sure the
  wording.  I thought maybe it could go the other way?

So, I looked it up.  Her registered badge is "(Tinctureless) The letter S
with the upper arm reflexed into the foreparts of a salamander."

However: it was registered in 1981, what SCA Heralds call "the bad old
days", back before we had any real standards for doing what was period.  A
fresh submission that was inspired by this one would not register today.

(Aside: this is why heralds like people to use period heraldry: it teaches
folks the wrong thing when you don't, and then go on like Hilary did to
become a leading light in the organization).

For those who care, the following VERY LONG URL will get you a list of all
armory registered in the armorial with a salamander in it (currently 42
items).

http://www.sca.org:80/heraldry/OandA/oanda_bp.cgi?p=salamander&c=case-insensitive&l=999&s=name+only&d=modern&g=disabled&a=disabled

	Tibor