SC - Candied Citrus Peel &

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Mon Sep 22 17:01:30 PDT 1997

Adamantius said:

Gee. The worst thing I've ever done to an innocent piece of garb was to
leap headfirst into a lit convection oven while wearing my lovely white
14th century Mediterranean cook's cote that Mistress Katherine
Gilliesfleur made me. (How's THAT for gonzo?)

The cote, BTW, is the nicest piece of work garb you could imagine. I
took a new white Bragard chef's coat over to Mistress Katherine's one
day, and asked her to help me find a period functional equivalent, that
does everything a chef's coat does: bias gusseted in the backs of the
shoulders to allow freedom of movement, double-thick cuffs (long so they
could be rolled up for extra protection, a quilted breast and high
collar to protect against scald burns, and many little cloth buttons so
it can be ripped off quickly in case of fire. A little round baker's
cap, like a vented sailor hat, goes with it.

I have one file in Stefan's Florilegium on such protective clothing:

aprons-msg        (18K)  6/ 6/97    Medieval aprons for both men and women.

I wasn't aware of any medieval items like this with sleeves. I would love
to have more information on this cote. Do you have any bibliographic
info on where interested folks could find more info? Either pictures or
descriptions?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com

(Stefan is a minor Anglo-Norman lord near York in the time of upheavals
during King Stephen's reign caused by that upstart pretender Matilda.

Mark is an electronics engineer doing high-speed processor PCB design
for the PowerPC processor at Motorola in Austin, Texas)