SC - Badge

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Mon Sep 22 15:32:06 PDT 1997

> I fully agree provided the only cooking the individual has done is
> feast. IF they participate in arts and sciences then an arts and science
> award is appropriate.
>
> meadhbh

Forgive me, good Mistress, but I feel I must disagree. Yes, if someone just
cooks good meals for large groups but the meals are brisket, corn, potatoes,
and jello. Then a Pelican would be more acceptable than a Laurel.  But I have
never felt that what I do is a service.  I feel that, even when I made
"period-ish" food for a group that my cooking was still "art".

I have never entered an A&S with food because I have never felt the need to. My
A&S entry is expirienced by 300 gentles and the commentary is usually direct.
I am honored with awards for A&S for cookery, not service.

My work with food is an art and my feasts I hope to be exalted displays of art,
if my art benefits and improves an event then so much the better.  If a weaver
works for a year creating a huge tapestry of the kingdom's arms, should that
weaver then recieve a service award?  I think that it is the intent and content
of the gift to the SCA which should be judged.

Please remember that these words are from someone who never aspires to the
Laurelate 'cause I just ain't that good.  But my feasts are gifts to the Kingdom
of the only art I know.

This is in no way meant as an insult toward you, but I just had to voice a
counter-point.

Yours,

Gunthar