SC - cooking laurels & drawn butter

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 22 17:41:32 PDT 1997

My good Gunthar,

I believe that cooking SCA feasts is a service. That does NOT mean it
cannot also be an art since the research and develeopment of the recipes
and so forth is part of the Arts and Sciences. However, the actual
cooking of the feast is a service to the society just as holding an
office or autocratting is.  I can certainly imagine folks who event after
event, year after year are head cooks at SCA feasts making good food
(period or not, research and redacted or using others redactions) and
enhancing each event and thus become deserving of a Pelican. I can also
imagine folks who never cook an SCA feast but who research period
recipes, foodways and so forth thus becoming deserving of a Laurel. I can
also imagine folks who do lots of feasts, meticulously researched and
documented and I would say they could be deserving of both a Laurel and a
Pelican. It is much the same as Heralds (at least in some kingdoms) where
the service of Heralding (whether helping design names/devices or field
or court heraldry) gets appropriate service awards and the research of
heraldry as done in the middle ages (display, appropriate period devices,
how names were constructed, etc) gets appropriate A&S awards.

Clarissa